EDGE (ExtendeDGdml Editor) is an easy-to-use GDML editor to load and edit GDML geometries developed by Artenum.
You can find more informations on EDGE in our DOP (Detailed Offer and Pricing) or by contacting us.
The GDML format
Thus, the GDML format is currently used in radiations analysis, neutronics, high-energy particles research and nuclear safety…
EDGE has been designed with the idea to facilitate the edition or creation of GDML files. With this software, users can create/load/edit GDML files and save them with a real-time 3D visualization. EDGE is powered by Keridwen, the Integrated Modeling Environment (IME).
EDGE allows the creation of complex GDML files by handling several-layer hierarchy with most of the GDML simple shapes, such as:
- Boxes and Parrallelepipeds;
- Spheres and Ellipsoids;
- Tessellated Elements;
- Tubes and Cones.
EDGE also allows you to import pre-existing GDML defined geometries and integrate them as sub-elements of the edited geometry.
Geometry checking and statistics
EDGE integrates several features to check the self-consistency of the geometry and its validity with Geant4 based simulation kernel:
- Overlapping detection between elements to avoid errors in Geant4 computations;
- Geometry hierarchy validation and correction;
- Volume and total mass computation, taking in count the volumic mass of each element.
Material Properties Edition
EDGE allows to edit and attribute material properties on each geometrical elements in a simple way.
Materials can be defined:
- Manually through the isotopic compositions, using a easy-to-use editor;
- From built-in GEANT4 predefined materials;
- From existing GDML defined materials.
EDGE is able to import various B-Rep based industrial formats using tessellation such as
- STEP-AP 203-214
- Gmsh .geo geometry format and .msh mesh format
- Others B-Rep formats like .stl and .unv
A CSG-to-Brep decomposition function allows to export GDML based geometries to equivalent ones in Gmsh GEO format, in order to open interoperability towards other simulation models, industrial CAD editors and meshers.
EDGE can be extended via a set of plugins that can enrich the functions of the software. You can find below a list of currently available plugins inside EDGE
- SSAM for Sector Shielding Analysis Module is an additional plug-in for EDGE that allows, through a simple and easy to sue GUI, to perform shielding analyses and quick deposited dose computations. SSAM is perfectly adapted to quick radiations analysis, in a simple engineering approach or as pre-processing for more advanced modelling with MoOra and Monte-Carlo models. More information
- DeCADe for Detesselator and CAD extended importer, is an EDGE-plug-in providing extended STEP-AP format capabilities and a set of geometry simplification and clean-up features to adapt the imported geometry to radiations analysis. More information
Here are the last available versions of the EDGE tool with their corresponding release notes and documentation:
|2.5.0||EDGE 2.5.0 Release Notes||EDGE 2.5.0 User manual|
|2.4.2||Issues corrections||EDGE 2.4.2 User manual|
|2.4.0||EDGE 2.4.0 Release notes||EDGE 2.4.0 User manual|
|2.3.2||Issues corrections||EDGE 2.3.2 User manual|
|2.3.0||EDGE 2.3.0 Release notes||EDGE 2.3.0 User manual|
|2.2.0||EDGE 2.2.0 Release notes||EDGE 2.2.0 User manual|
|2.1.0||First public release||EDGE 2.1.0 User manual|
Get the software
You can contact us to get an EDGE license.